Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Daddy's girl (well, one of them!)


Every night at bedtime I spend a little time with each child doing our "bedtime" routine of singing, praying, reading, tickling their backs, etc. I always end with Brooklyn, because she 1. stays up the latest, and 2. always wants to chat more than the rest of them do. She always asks me how my day was, and we talk about hers as well. She usually always asks me how Bobby is doing too.
Last night when she asked me how he was I told her that he was in some pain and was getting ready to take more medicine. Then she caught me off guard when she said "I'm so happy, Mom! He's finally getting his personality back." She then shared with me how terrible it was all summer when he was so sick and slept most of the time. She even said it seemed like he was dead most of the time. I knew exactly how she felt! But then she told me how he had started to joke around with her, tease her, and tickle her like he used to. I'm so glad that she could recognize the small progress he is making! Of all the kids, I'm certain it was the toughest on her. Frequently during his treatments she would go in her room and cry if she could see or hear him barfing, gagging, or in any other distress. Several nights during his treatment (and still) I would come out from putting the other kids to bed to find her laying on his lap or shoulder while he slept on the couch. I know that he was aware of her sometimes, but I also know that MANY times he wasn't. How difficult that must have been for her to need and want her father, only to feel like he was "dead" to her.
Things are looking up, though! He is more aware of things now, and is trying to become a father again. Last night we were talking, and I told him that I needed to go do dishes. When I walked out Seth immediately asked me if I could read to him, so I sat down with him and Kaymbria and started to read instead of clean up. Bobby noticed, and went into the kitchen to clean up dishes and food that he can't even eat with us! He has been able to start reading again, and is certainly more mentally alert than he has been in a long time.
It's been exactly 3 weeks since his last treatment, and there is noticeable progress. Maybe not as quick as we had hoped, but he is headed in the right direction. I hope to be able to report more good news as his recovery continues!

1 comment:

  1. Once again, this is all too familiar! But you are MUCh more insightful than I, what amazing experiences. And its wonderful he is starting to push forward, but in the case that he has a "bad day", tell him not to let it get his spirits down...its pretty normal. When Mark had just gotten a tube out of his nose, he felt refreshed and we tried a few "things" that day (5 steps from the bed, a couple of bites of food after a month of only IV fluids, etc). Not only did it wipe out his energy and he began another deep sleep that lasted for a few days, he started throwing up again. While it seemed discouraging, we were gently reminded that the body has strange ways of recovering and to hang in there. Not that you wanted this little bit, but figured I would share either way...it brings all of it back to me when I read your posts! We love you all and continue to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete