Friday, August 7, 2009

He's Done!!



Wednesday, August 5 was his last day of treatment! We came home with this certificate from the radiology team who has seen him every day since June. Later that evening, before my family left to return home, my sister organized a celebration parade for the kids to do. They marched right into our living room with signs and posters attached to Ensure bottles and put a smile on Bobby's face. Although he couldn't verbalize his appreciation, he did give them a round of applause for their efforts!





For 58 days Bobby has endured surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation, endoscopies, CT scans, MRIs, PET scans, two biopsies, and too many blood tests and injections to even count. I have had to stand by his side and watch it all happen, mostly feeling like my hands were tied and there was nothing I could do to help. I have observed his quiet strength and awed over his ability to take it all, NEVER once complaining.
Wednesday was a good day, a true reason to celebrate. However, since then, I have felt my patience dwindling. I want so badly for him to be well again. I hate the pain he is in. I am anxious to have this entire experience behind us. I am ready to have a loving husband and father again in our home. His "absence" for the last 58 days has made me realize more fully just how blessed I am to have him.
I haven't been sleeping well for a long time, and last night I read something that hit home: "When things go wrong, as they sometimes will, When the road you're trudging seems all up hill, When care is pressing you down a bit, Rest, if you must- but don't you quit." So, I rested, and this morning awoke determined to move forward and recognize the small improvements that he is going to have each day from here on out.




2 comments:

  1. So glad it is over! Hopefully you have reached the top of that mt. and now can come back down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, just a little Jack Daniels might help you sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete