Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The countdown has just begun!

Only 2 weeks left! Bobby spends a lot of his time like this... asleep. He has great intentions some days of mowing the lawn, or helping me with things around the house, or even something as simple as taking a shower, but usually, he just ends up asleep wherever he happens to sit down. And truthfully, I'm glad. If he can sleep through this terrible time, that's just fine with me. The kids and I try to just let life go on while his life stands still. There are some moments that I feel totally alone, but they quickly pass. I think of the love and support offered by so many. Whether it be through meals brought in, cards sent, hugs, phone calls, words of encouragement, prayers, etc. I (and Bobby) know that we can get through this.

So now begins the countdown. With only two weeks left of treatment, his side effects worsen a little each day. He vomited for the first time last night, and after I finished scrubbing up the mess he became a little bit emotional and thanked me for helping. I suppose he doesn't realize that doing things like that are really not drudgery for me... I truly believe that service to others yields a small sacrifice on my part, but in that sacrifice comes a deeper love... and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

2 comments:

  1. Its interesting, we went through this same experience...me cleaning up Marks bodily fluids, helping him simply turn on his side in bed, changing his clothes for him after he'd thrown up on them, wiping a cold/hot washcloth just to sooth him, etc. And Mark cried as well, thanking and apologizing to me each time, and I telling him that I wouldn't have traded it, I was glad I could be there for him. He said (and still does) that is was a humbling experience for him. I remember the day he shaved after one of his surgeries. It took such effort and tired him the rest of the day but when he was done, he feel asleep with a smile on his face. Its great you are journaling this! It's hard to believe that life can be amazing, crazy, sad, horrific, humbling, and miraculous all at the same time. You are both an amazing example and are still in our prayers daily! See you next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris & Bobby,
    Just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers so much these days.
    You both have always maintained such style and grace and I'm not surprised that it continues through this adversity.
    May God continue giving you the strength and courage you need to overcome this.
    Lots of love & prayers,
    Eva Márquez Lear

    ReplyDelete