Saturday, July 11, 2009

My friend, the feeding tube

Bobby lost another 5 pounds, so we are very grateful to have the tube in place. I asked our doctor how many calories a day he should be getting, and was shocked when he said between 3-4 thousand! I guess his body is working so hard to handle the chemo and radiation that the more we can get in, the better. Eating on his own has mostly ended, so we are primarily using the tube. At first we did the "feedings" privately because I wasn't sure how the kids would respond to it. But as the frequency has greatly increased, they are totally aware now. Kaymbria always wants to help feed her daddy. She loves it! It it a little like having a newborn baby... round the clock "feedings" every couple of hours. I'm glad to do it, though, because I know that this is something I can do to help lessen the severity of his side effects, and hopefully speed his recovery. So each morning I put out 8-10 cans of "formula" and then watch the clock to remember when it's time to feed (since unlike a newborn, he doesn't cry to remind me). At least I don't have to burp him when we're done and then change a diaper!

No comments:

Post a Comment