Saturday, July 4, 2009

Poison and lasers

Many have asked how the kids are doing through all of this. I decided to start with my boys, because that is a more simple answer (I'll tackle the girls some other time). Carson and Seth have very different personalities, sort of like night and day. But surprisingly, they are both "coping" with Bobby's illness very well so far. We told them about everything the night before Bobby had his first surgery. Tears were shed, prayers were offered, they went to bed peacefully.

A few nights later I was in their room with them at bedtime, and after Seth said his prayer I thanked him for remembering Daddy in his prayers. Carson heard me, and immediately said "I am praying for Dad every night too!" I thanked him too, and told the boys that praying would help so much- not only Bobby, but it would help them too when they felt sad, or scared, or worried.

They both immediately started asking me questions about cancer, and his treatment. It didn't take long for me to realize that this is a tough thing for kids to understand. Especially when their dad felt great UNTIL he started having surgery and treatments- the very things that are supposed to make him BETTER. As simply as I could, I explained that chemotherapy is a very powerful kind of medicine that attacks the bad cancer cells. The cancer cells have to be killed off so they don't continue to grow and spread and cause more problems. When they wondered why he gets so sick I told them that the chemotherapy is sort of like poison for the cells. It kills the cancer cells, but it also kills a lot of his good, healthy cells too. With further explanation they both decided that it was pretty cool that Bobby's "good" cells can grow back, but the "bad cancer" cells won't. Radiation was interesting to explain too. I told them that it is a highly powerful x-ray beam that can focus directly on the spot where the cancer is and help kill it too. One of them asked if it was like lasers from Star Wars... well, sure, I guess? Then they both started talking about laser beams and offered their opinions on how cool that was- Dad's cancer is being zapped by powerful beams Star Wars style. May the force be with you!

Since then life has gone on for them as usual, and they continue to pray for him daily. We are trying hard to maintain "normalcy" for the kids as much as possible. They are wonderful boys whom we adore, and I'm so glad that they are still finding and enjoying the simple pleasures of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment